So what is it like having a child with autism?

So, what is it like having a child with autism?

I get this question a lot and actually like it when people ask. Unless a person has significant contact with someone on the spectrum he/she doesn't really understand what an autism driven world is about. Saying that, it isn't always easy to convey what having a child with autism is like. After much consideration, this is what I've come up with -

For me, having a child with autism is like living with an alien from another planet. I call him the "reluctant astronaut (R.A.)" because he really didn't want to come to earth, had absolutely no interest in this space mission. As a result, he didn't pay much attention at the briefings prior to the mission so doesn't know anything about Planet Earth - nothing about language, customs, or Earthling niceties in general. In fact, he is so disinterested in Earth that even though he was sent here, he has absolutely no desire to assimilate into Earth society. Meaning he still doesn't give a rat's ass about Earth mores.

That's also how I "explain" things he does that are pretty much unfathomable to me. For example - for a certain time period he liked to sit in the toilet. No, not on the toilet but in the toilet. I reasoned that on the home planet the toilet is a jacuzzi. Although eventually we managed to break him of this habit, the jacuzzi explanation popped again during potty training when the R.A. demonstrated not only an aversion to the toilet but would have all out nuttys when placed on one. He was probably thinking, "Poop in the jacuzzi? What is wrong with you people? Miscreants!" That's what he would say if he could speak English or any Earthing dialect.

For a time I was also convinced that not only was he a reluctant astronaut but was actually an alien cat that somehow ended up in a human body. It does make sense -

Cat

Has to everything his way

Reluctant Astronaut

Ditto

Cat

Don't touch me!

Reluctant Astronaut

Ditto

Cat

Doesn't speak human language

Reluctant Astronaut

Ditto

Cat

Doesn't wear clothes

Reluctant Astronaut

Ditto (Well, would if he had his way)

Of course I don't really believe my son to be a Reluctant Astronaut.

But sometimes it sure makes sense!

Disclaimer: Although I sometimes describe things about life with my R.A. in a humorous way, please understand that I am not laughing at him. He is my son and I love him very very much. I come from a family that had its share of challenges and I learned from a young age that laughter is powerful. A situation cannot completely hurt you if you are able to find humor and laugh at some parts of it. So that's what I do. And I don't use humor solely with the R.A. My daughter was born with a heart condition that required immediate surgery. (No, I don't make good babies. They come out broken.) She was whisked away by ambulance to the hospital in Boston. It was all unexpected and traumatic. A nice young intern came to speak with my husband and me and was re-assuring us that nothing we had done caused the baby's condition. The stress and sorrow were overwhelming. When the nice young intern concluded I turned to my husband and said, "See, I told you it wasn't from all that smack I did during my pregnancy." The intern froze and then let out this huge belly laugh. Was I appropriate? Probably not. But I had to do something to relieve the stress. Astronaut life is stressful so find the laughter where you can.
And as G.K. Chesterton said, "Humor can get through the keyhole when seriousness is still hammering at the door."

Thursday, October 13, 2011

I've Had Enough

It was truly a loonnnggg weekend in many, many ways.  By Monday night the R.A. had had it.  I found him standing on top of his sister's toy stove, brandishing the "Stick of Infamy," rotating his free hand in a way that would have made Evita envious, and yowling on eleven.  It was one of those rare occasions where not only did I actually understand how the R.A. felt, if there was room on top of that stove, I would have joined him.  It had been an extremely busy weekend and we were all exhausted.  The R.A.'s routine was completely non-existent.  We went places he had never been to.  We did things he had never done before.  In both instances he probably never will again - Kitchen God willing, that is. 

As the weather was so nice we did spend much of it outside.  The end result was that the R.A. sounded like he had spent the past 42 years working in the coal mines of Appalachia and smoking pack after pack of unfiltered Winstons while he was at it.  His system has just not acclimated to the earth's atmosphere.  On the home planet the R.A. may be a tactical genius, a ruthless warmonger, and gifted speech maker but on earth he is felled by environmental allergens.  It must be extremely frustrating for the R.A.  Here he is, bent on total world domination and destruction but he has to put plans on hold because he needs a nebulizer treatment.  Betrayed by his own body. No wonder the R.A. is so crabby all the time.  He's frustrated.  It also explains his extreme dislike of nebulizer treatments - "My nemesis, we meet again.  I would crush you, you little tube of vapor.  But I can't because I'm coughing too hard and can't catch my breath.  As the Kitchen God is my witness I will exact my vengeance!"  [Insert spluttering cough here.]  He probably thinks we are using the nebulizer in an attempt to vaporize him. "Stupid earthlings!  Do they think their puny vaporizing weapon can hurt me?  Don't they know who I am?" [Insert evil cackling here that ends as spluttering coughs.]  The R.A. may have moments where he is down but never out.  On occasion he does take his revenge by getting so worked up during nebulizer treatments that he causes himself to have these violent coughing fits.  These fits are so bad that eventually he ends up vomiting.  "Take that, stupid earthlings!" [Insert retching and wheezing here.]  The R.A. is not above fighting dirty.  Literally.

No comments:

Post a Comment