So what is it like having a child with autism?

So, what is it like having a child with autism?

I get this question a lot and actually like it when people ask. Unless a person has significant contact with someone on the spectrum he/she doesn't really understand what an autism driven world is about. Saying that, it isn't always easy to convey what having a child with autism is like. After much consideration, this is what I've come up with -

For me, having a child with autism is like living with an alien from another planet. I call him the "reluctant astronaut (R.A.)" because he really didn't want to come to earth, had absolutely no interest in this space mission. As a result, he didn't pay much attention at the briefings prior to the mission so doesn't know anything about Planet Earth - nothing about language, customs, or Earthling niceties in general. In fact, he is so disinterested in Earth that even though he was sent here, he has absolutely no desire to assimilate into Earth society. Meaning he still doesn't give a rat's ass about Earth mores.

That's also how I "explain" things he does that are pretty much unfathomable to me. For example - for a certain time period he liked to sit in the toilet. No, not on the toilet but in the toilet. I reasoned that on the home planet the toilet is a jacuzzi. Although eventually we managed to break him of this habit, the jacuzzi explanation popped again during potty training when the R.A. demonstrated not only an aversion to the toilet but would have all out nuttys when placed on one. He was probably thinking, "Poop in the jacuzzi? What is wrong with you people? Miscreants!" That's what he would say if he could speak English or any Earthing dialect.

For a time I was also convinced that not only was he a reluctant astronaut but was actually an alien cat that somehow ended up in a human body. It does make sense -

Cat

Has to everything his way

Reluctant Astronaut

Ditto

Cat

Don't touch me!

Reluctant Astronaut

Ditto

Cat

Doesn't speak human language

Reluctant Astronaut

Ditto

Cat

Doesn't wear clothes

Reluctant Astronaut

Ditto (Well, would if he had his way)

Of course I don't really believe my son to be a Reluctant Astronaut.

But sometimes it sure makes sense!

Disclaimer: Although I sometimes describe things about life with my R.A. in a humorous way, please understand that I am not laughing at him. He is my son and I love him very very much. I come from a family that had its share of challenges and I learned from a young age that laughter is powerful. A situation cannot completely hurt you if you are able to find humor and laugh at some parts of it. So that's what I do. And I don't use humor solely with the R.A. My daughter was born with a heart condition that required immediate surgery. (No, I don't make good babies. They come out broken.) She was whisked away by ambulance to the hospital in Boston. It was all unexpected and traumatic. A nice young intern came to speak with my husband and me and was re-assuring us that nothing we had done caused the baby's condition. The stress and sorrow were overwhelming. When the nice young intern concluded I turned to my husband and said, "See, I told you it wasn't from all that smack I did during my pregnancy." The intern froze and then let out this huge belly laugh. Was I appropriate? Probably not. But I had to do something to relieve the stress. Astronaut life is stressful so find the laughter where you can.
And as G.K. Chesterton said, "Humor can get through the keyhole when seriousness is still hammering at the door."

Friday, March 23, 2012

A Brand New You!


This past year I've lost some weight.  People are always interested in how I did it.  I'll let you in on it. You've heard of the "South Beach Diet," the "Subway Diet," and the "French Woman Are Too Condescending to Ever Be Overweight Diet."  There is now a revolutionary new diet - the "Reluctant Astronaut's Turbo Super Diet Plan."  It isn't just a diet.  It's a way of life.

What is the "Reluctant Astronaut's Turbo Super Diet Plan?"
It is a patent-pending, carefully designed system that is proven to make you lose weight, whether you intend to or not.

Does it work?
The Reluctant Astronaut, the creator and official yowl-person for this system is still within fighting distance of his original weight - 7 pounds, 2 ounces.  You tell me if it works.

How does it work?
It's a complex system of rarely ever being allowed to eat and when you are permitted to partake of sustenance, you remain in constant motion.  It is a system of simultaneous eating and exercising.  So you BURN CALORIES WHILE EATING!  That's the genius of the system.
The R.A.'s Turbo Super Diet Plan also works because it curbs your appetite.  The system produces a mixture of indigestion and anxiety that will make it difficult  not only for you to digest food but will pretty much put the kibosh on any desire to eat.

It's that easy!
Is the R.A.'s Turbo Super Diet Plan right for me?
If you're reading this and you're an American, according to the media, you are morbidly obese.  So put down that piece of fried chicken, get off your fat arse, and do this plan.
What does it cost?
Here's the really exciting part.  It costs NOTHING!  The only thing you need to pay for is shipping and handling of a small alien. And also - carefully vetted juice boxes, bananas, "Finding Nemo" gummies, Dum Dum lollipops, 100 calorie chocolate chip cookies and Pringles. When the R.A. comes to stay in your home as your personal weight loss counselor, we strongly recommend having these supplies on hand.  You want to lose the weight but do you want to lose your sanity in the process?  I mean, am I right?
Contact us today and we will throw in, at no extra charge, the nine year old "World's Pickiest Eater" (9 years running!)  Her whining and incessant demands are guaranteed to ruin any meal time thus speeding up your weight loss process.

What are you waiting for?  You won't recognize the person you will become (what with the dark under eye circles, stress wrinkles around your mouth, and shaky hands...)
Disclaimer: The R.A.'s Turbo Super Diet Plan has been known to induce nausea, light headedness, dizziness, hair loss, tooth loss, and ulcers.  Stop using this product if you develop persistent babbling, night terrors, fear of small boys with freckles.  Contact your doctor immediately if you have uncontrollable bouts of weeping or suicidal thoughts. Do not use this product if you are pregnant, have been pregnant, considering becoming pregnant, ever thought you might be pregnant, have impregnated someone (either on purpose or accidentally), are considering impregnating someone, know someone who is pregnant or know someone who is considering becoming pregnant.  Do not use drugs or alcohol while using this product (although only the Kitchen God knows it will be a mighty temptation).  The use of drugs or alcohol will only increase the severity and frequency of seizures and blackouts.

Become the you you never imagined you'd be!  Whether you want it or not!

4 comments:

  1. God is in your corner. Don't give up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you mean "God-God" or the Kitchen God? Because if you are referring to the Kitchen God, he's definitely NOT in my corner.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And you still managed to look fantastic the last time we went out. God bless. Mary Rose

    ReplyDelete
  4. See! It's proof that the R.A.'s Diet works!

    ReplyDelete