So what is it like having a child with autism?

So, what is it like having a child with autism?

I get this question a lot and actually like it when people ask. Unless a person has significant contact with someone on the spectrum he/she doesn't really understand what an autism driven world is about. Saying that, it isn't always easy to convey what having a child with autism is like. After much consideration, this is what I've come up with -

For me, having a child with autism is like living with an alien from another planet. I call him the "reluctant astronaut (R.A.)" because he really didn't want to come to earth, had absolutely no interest in this space mission. As a result, he didn't pay much attention at the briefings prior to the mission so doesn't know anything about Planet Earth - nothing about language, customs, or Earthling niceties in general. In fact, he is so disinterested in Earth that even though he was sent here, he has absolutely no desire to assimilate into Earth society. Meaning he still doesn't give a rat's ass about Earth mores.

That's also how I "explain" things he does that are pretty much unfathomable to me. For example - for a certain time period he liked to sit in the toilet. No, not on the toilet but in the toilet. I reasoned that on the home planet the toilet is a jacuzzi. Although eventually we managed to break him of this habit, the jacuzzi explanation popped again during potty training when the R.A. demonstrated not only an aversion to the toilet but would have all out nuttys when placed on one. He was probably thinking, "Poop in the jacuzzi? What is wrong with you people? Miscreants!" That's what he would say if he could speak English or any Earthing dialect.

For a time I was also convinced that not only was he a reluctant astronaut but was actually an alien cat that somehow ended up in a human body. It does make sense -

Cat

Has to everything his way

Reluctant Astronaut

Ditto

Cat

Don't touch me!

Reluctant Astronaut

Ditto

Cat

Doesn't speak human language

Reluctant Astronaut

Ditto

Cat

Doesn't wear clothes

Reluctant Astronaut

Ditto (Well, would if he had his way)

Of course I don't really believe my son to be a Reluctant Astronaut.

But sometimes it sure makes sense!

Disclaimer: Although I sometimes describe things about life with my R.A. in a humorous way, please understand that I am not laughing at him. He is my son and I love him very very much. I come from a family that had its share of challenges and I learned from a young age that laughter is powerful. A situation cannot completely hurt you if you are able to find humor and laugh at some parts of it. So that's what I do. And I don't use humor solely with the R.A. My daughter was born with a heart condition that required immediate surgery. (No, I don't make good babies. They come out broken.) She was whisked away by ambulance to the hospital in Boston. It was all unexpected and traumatic. A nice young intern came to speak with my husband and me and was re-assuring us that nothing we had done caused the baby's condition. The stress and sorrow were overwhelming. When the nice young intern concluded I turned to my husband and said, "See, I told you it wasn't from all that smack I did during my pregnancy." The intern froze and then let out this huge belly laugh. Was I appropriate? Probably not. But I had to do something to relieve the stress. Astronaut life is stressful so find the laughter where you can.
And as G.K. Chesterton said, "Humor can get through the keyhole when seriousness is still hammering at the door."

Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Holiday Funk

I haven't written in a while because a plague has gone through our house.  It started a couple of weeks before Christmas and as with most illnesses that strike our home, is traced back to our very own R.A. also affectionately known as "Patient Zero."  I don't know if it's because of his alien physiological makeup but we very rarely get run of the mill viruses - runny nose, cough, maybe a fever.  It's always something that seems like the Influenza Pandemic of 1918 but not as mild.  Initially I thought the illnesses were always worse because the alien R.A. has sensitivities to our earth atmosphere.  Remember how in "War of the Worlds" the Martians were felled by plain old human germs?  However, following the past few epidemics that have ravaged my family I'm thinking it's actually reversed - in reality the R.A. is attempting to use germ warfare on us.  Unfortunately for him, although we are an agonizingly stupid people we are quite robust and manage to recuperate from whatever his contagion du jour.

The R.A. has been on vacation this week.  This means he has had a lot more free time to devote to his various hobbies such as jumping up and down in front of the television while flicking the screen with his fingers and loudly caterwauling; teetering around the edges of our china cabinet on tip-toes while brandishing the Stick of Infamy; creating wall art masterpieces in crayon and Sharpie marker.  He has been having a wonderful time. Us, not so much.

Here are some Christmas vacation low-lights:

An Homage to Tito Puente
The Stick of Infamy II is back and louder than ever.  Although the R.A. still utilizes it in a "Mussolini" fashion i.e. furiously waving it around while harshly reprimanding us for whatever our recent failures, ever the innovator, he has discovered another use for it.  The R.A. has determined that he does in fact have the rhythm in him and the SOI is his instrument.  His impromptu concerts consist of him repeatedly whacking the floor with the SOI.  Some of the pieces are purely instrumental while on others he adds energetic vocals.  The concerts primarily take place during times that his grandmother is trying to sleep.  Despite being somewhat cacophonous, my husband and I are concert fans as it means the R.A. is engaged in an activity that is neither death defying nor involving permanent markers.  My mother is not a fan and therefore wrangled the SOI from the R.A. and deposited it into her bedroom.  A couple of days following this incredible act of defiance the R.A. paid a visit to his grandmother in her bedroom.  He was very sweet and affectionate.  After the R.A. left the room my mother discovered that he had swiped the SOI.  He is our own Mata Hari with freckles and outrageous cowlicks.


Another favorite concert spot is standing on top of our convection oven which is located on top of a table in our kitchen.  For these concerts the R.A. is a conductor using the SOI as a baton, directing an unseen orchestra who apparently are not very good, based on the amount of yelling he does during the program.

I Am Master of All I Survey (as Well as All That I Don't)
Apparently everything that the R.A. is currently interested in is located on high shelves or cabinets.  They are also things that my husband and I cannot fetch for the R.A. quickly enough as we are goofing off doing things like laundry or taking a shower.  Never one to let the grass grow under his feet (partially due to allergies), the R.A. then takes it upon himself to get what he wants.  Sometimes this involves complicated feats of engineering like dragging 24 packs of diet Coke across the room and using them to construct make shift ladders to scale the stove to reach the cabinets over the stove.  When a man needs Snoopy gummies he will apparently stop at nothing.  So much for putting snacks in hard to reach locations.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Lollies
The freedom of vacation is transferring to the R.A.'s desire to be liberated from his clothing.  In addition to having to closely monitor him to keep him from climbing convection ovens or decorating the living room walls with crayon, we have discovered that any time the R.A. is left unattended he removes all of his clothing.  For some reason his preferred "undressing" room is the stairway that goes from the first to the second floor.  As a result, the R.A. has spent the later part of his vacation sporting backwards and footie-less footie pajamas.  (And rockin' the look as always.)  We are only dressing him in pants and a shirt if we are going out.  We still have two days left of vacation so that could change too.

We will have to see how our remaining days go.  I fully anticipate his Grand Finale will involve scaling the roof or hot wiring his father's car.  While dressed in backwards and footie-less footie pajamas, of course.




No comments:

Post a Comment