So what is it like having a child with autism?

So, what is it like having a child with autism?

I get this question a lot and actually like it when people ask. Unless a person has significant contact with someone on the spectrum he/she doesn't really understand what an autism driven world is about. Saying that, it isn't always easy to convey what having a child with autism is like. After much consideration, this is what I've come up with -

For me, having a child with autism is like living with an alien from another planet. I call him the "reluctant astronaut (R.A.)" because he really didn't want to come to earth, had absolutely no interest in this space mission. As a result, he didn't pay much attention at the briefings prior to the mission so doesn't know anything about Planet Earth - nothing about language, customs, or Earthling niceties in general. In fact, he is so disinterested in Earth that even though he was sent here, he has absolutely no desire to assimilate into Earth society. Meaning he still doesn't give a rat's ass about Earth mores.

That's also how I "explain" things he does that are pretty much unfathomable to me. For example - for a certain time period he liked to sit in the toilet. No, not on the toilet but in the toilet. I reasoned that on the home planet the toilet is a jacuzzi. Although eventually we managed to break him of this habit, the jacuzzi explanation popped again during potty training when the R.A. demonstrated not only an aversion to the toilet but would have all out nuttys when placed on one. He was probably thinking, "Poop in the jacuzzi? What is wrong with you people? Miscreants!" That's what he would say if he could speak English or any Earthing dialect.

For a time I was also convinced that not only was he a reluctant astronaut but was actually an alien cat that somehow ended up in a human body. It does make sense -

Cat

Has to everything his way

Reluctant Astronaut

Ditto

Cat

Don't touch me!

Reluctant Astronaut

Ditto

Cat

Doesn't speak human language

Reluctant Astronaut

Ditto

Cat

Doesn't wear clothes

Reluctant Astronaut

Ditto (Well, would if he had his way)

Of course I don't really believe my son to be a Reluctant Astronaut.

But sometimes it sure makes sense!

Disclaimer: Although I sometimes describe things about life with my R.A. in a humorous way, please understand that I am not laughing at him. He is my son and I love him very very much. I come from a family that had its share of challenges and I learned from a young age that laughter is powerful. A situation cannot completely hurt you if you are able to find humor and laugh at some parts of it. So that's what I do. And I don't use humor solely with the R.A. My daughter was born with a heart condition that required immediate surgery. (No, I don't make good babies. They come out broken.) She was whisked away by ambulance to the hospital in Boston. It was all unexpected and traumatic. A nice young intern came to speak with my husband and me and was re-assuring us that nothing we had done caused the baby's condition. The stress and sorrow were overwhelming. When the nice young intern concluded I turned to my husband and said, "See, I told you it wasn't from all that smack I did during my pregnancy." The intern froze and then let out this huge belly laugh. Was I appropriate? Probably not. But I had to do something to relieve the stress. Astronaut life is stressful so find the laughter where you can.
And as G.K. Chesterton said, "Humor can get through the keyhole when seriousness is still hammering at the door."

Monday, April 1, 2019

Haul Out the Brass Band and Confetti Cannon


That’s right.  It’s finally here - Happy Autism Awareness Month or as we call in my house, April, because EVERY month we live autism awareness and spread that awareness wherever we go much to the horror and confusion of those left in our wake.

During April my family especially takes the “Awareness” part to heart.  We are of the opinion that since “Awareness “ is right there in the title, it’s our duty to go out into the world spreading the “Awareness” and we really go whole hog.  The louder and flappier the better.

People new to Autism Awareness Month might be uncertain as what to do during this celebratory month.  While there are some generally accepted traditions and practices such as lighting things up blue and slapping puzzle piece magnets declaring you love someone with autism everywhere, there is still much room to create one’s own expressions of Autism Awareness.  Like they say, “If you’ve met one person with Autism, you’ve met one person with Autism” so your expression can be as unique as your own family’s Autism Experience. The beauty of it is, like Autism there are no hard and fast rules. And if there were, like Autism, these rules would be arbitrarily subject to change and with no explanation.  

The main thing during AAM, is to turn any and all occasions, from the informal to the formal, into opportunities to spread that awareness.  Since it is AAM and we only get the one sanctioned month, it is important to do it up big.

I think during AAM there ought to be business cards available for families to hand out during these “awareness moments.”  They should read something like this:

Happy Autism Awareness Month!  
We are so thrilled you are celebrating this special time with us and sincerely hope you have enjoyed being made aware as much as we have enjoyed making you aware.
We’re here. We have Autism.  Get used to it. Or get out.

You may still be uncertain as how to proceed so I’ve come up with suggestions based on my family’s experiences but feel free to adapt to fit your situation:

At the Movies
The R.A. is a great fan of the movies.  Well, not so much the movies but the seats which are now recliners.  One of the last times we went, the R.A. proceeded to engage in “recliner gymnastics” performing handstands and reverse somersalts in the seat.  While tumbling around he also engaged in a one man yodeling demonstration. Due to the hardy exertion of these endeavors he also took many well deserved breaks that consisted of jumping up and down rigorously while loudly demanding snacks.  Since it was not AAM I had to sheepishly apologize to everyone in our vicinity and wrangle the R.A. out of the theater while simultaneously attempting to creep quietly out of the theater which was unsuccessful due to the R.A. bellowing, “Moobie!  I want moobie!” Had the same event transpired during AAM not only would we not have left but we would have stayed for a second film.

At the Mall
One of the RA’s favorite places is the mall, specifically the food court.  He quite enjoys watching the parade of humanity pass by. It is such a tremendous occasion that the RA really outdoes himself with the jumping, flapping, and yowling.  His enthusiasm simply cannot be contained. “Oh my Kitchen God! Did you catch a load of that freak?!” He is so hyped up that he has a hard time eating. Sometimes the RA really can’t contain himself and he literally will leap from his chair into the oncoming pedestrian traffic.  The poor unsuspecting soul he lurches at tends to be on his or her device and completely blindsided by this human cannonball. There then proceeds shrieking from both parties, the RA’s with joy, the mall patron with terror. Sometimes, if the RA is lucky, there also follows a bit of impromptu “device juggling” as the mall patron usually loses his/her grip on his/ her device during the ambush.  Good times!

In non AA months, my husband or I would leap up and attempt to corral the RA while sputtering apologies.  But during AAM we would just let the moment ride out and conclude with smugly handing the poor S.O.B. an AAM card while saying, “You’re welcome.”

At a Dance Recital
Fortunately, we dodged dance school because my daughter selected gymnastics.  Although we did have an annual show it was not the sixteen and a half hour extravaganza that dance audiences are subjected to.  Instead it was a mere three hours. We still had to adapt the experience to fit the RA’s tastes. We had to sit in the bleachers in the tippy top row.  These seats had to be on the end closest to the lighting because the RA took his job of inspecting the gel lights very seriously. We were also high enough up that the music and crowd drowned out the yowling and barking of snack orders.  Being on the edge also meant nobody noticed when the R.A. lobbed suddenly offensive snacks or gym show programs over the side rails.

But for those of you who do have to suffer through attend a dance recital, might I recommend:

When your child with autism proceeds to leap onto the stage and knocks over the preschool ballerinas, let him.  As the “Lord of the Lurch” hops about, turn to everyone around you and with gusto declare, “Happy Autism Awareness Month, everyone!  I hope you enjoy the celebration of free expression and dance that my son has brought to the performance. I would retrieve him but since it’s Autism Awareness Month and this is an officially sanctioned Autism Awareness Moment I am afraid I cannot.  Might I suggest that next year you consider holding the recital in March or May?” Then clap with extreme enthusiasm while shouting, “Bravo!” and “Encore!” Don’t forget to hand out the AA cards.

At a Wake
The RA loves boxes.  He enjoys cramming himself into them and rocking violently until he tips over a la bobsled rider on crank.  The RA’s current favorite toy is our laundry basket. He likes to curl up and place the basket over as much of him that it will cover.  The R.A. then wiggles his fingers through the basket’s lattice and demands tickles.

Some might think it inappropriate to spread Autism Awareness at a wake but I think death is a poor excuse of trying to weasel out of being made aware.  Just because someone is dead doesn’t exempt him or her from AAM.

The RA would LOVE a wake primarily because of the casket which to him would be nothing more than a box with a lid or as he would no doubt deem it, a dream come true.  It even comes with a pillow! It just keeps getting better! All I can say is, the RA would not be above removing the casket’s current occupant. That would be the ultimate AAM experience and an unforgettable wake.  Now that I think about it, I believe I have just described my own wake. I am also sure my family will allow the RA to unceremoniously dump me out of the casket and hop in because at least he would be occupied so they could enjoy the wake.

I hope that you’re now thinking about your own AAM.  From the rocky shores of New England across this great country of ours to the majestic forests of the Pacific Northwest, let the flapping, yowling, lurching, and leaping commence.

Happy Autism Awareness Month!

You’re welcome, America.

No comments:

Post a Comment