So what is it like having a child with autism?

So, what is it like having a child with autism?

I get this question a lot and actually like it when people ask. Unless a person has significant contact with someone on the spectrum he/she doesn't really understand what an autism driven world is about. Saying that, it isn't always easy to convey what having a child with autism is like. After much consideration, this is what I've come up with -

For me, having a child with autism is like living with an alien from another planet. I call him the "reluctant astronaut (R.A.)" because he really didn't want to come to earth, had absolutely no interest in this space mission. As a result, he didn't pay much attention at the briefings prior to the mission so doesn't know anything about Planet Earth - nothing about language, customs, or Earthling niceties in general. In fact, he is so disinterested in Earth that even though he was sent here, he has absolutely no desire to assimilate into Earth society. Meaning he still doesn't give a rat's ass about Earth mores.

That's also how I "explain" things he does that are pretty much unfathomable to me. For example - for a certain time period he liked to sit in the toilet. No, not on the toilet but in the toilet. I reasoned that on the home planet the toilet is a jacuzzi. Although eventually we managed to break him of this habit, the jacuzzi explanation popped again during potty training when the R.A. demonstrated not only an aversion to the toilet but would have all out nuttys when placed on one. He was probably thinking, "Poop in the jacuzzi? What is wrong with you people? Miscreants!" That's what he would say if he could speak English or any Earthing dialect.

For a time I was also convinced that not only was he a reluctant astronaut but was actually an alien cat that somehow ended up in a human body. It does make sense -

Cat

Has to everything his way

Reluctant Astronaut

Ditto

Cat

Don't touch me!

Reluctant Astronaut

Ditto

Cat

Doesn't speak human language

Reluctant Astronaut

Ditto

Cat

Doesn't wear clothes

Reluctant Astronaut

Ditto (Well, would if he had his way)

Of course I don't really believe my son to be a Reluctant Astronaut.

But sometimes it sure makes sense!

Disclaimer: Although I sometimes describe things about life with my R.A. in a humorous way, please understand that I am not laughing at him. He is my son and I love him very very much. I come from a family that had its share of challenges and I learned from a young age that laughter is powerful. A situation cannot completely hurt you if you are able to find humor and laugh at some parts of it. So that's what I do. And I don't use humor solely with the R.A. My daughter was born with a heart condition that required immediate surgery. (No, I don't make good babies. They come out broken.) She was whisked away by ambulance to the hospital in Boston. It was all unexpected and traumatic. A nice young intern came to speak with my husband and me and was re-assuring us that nothing we had done caused the baby's condition. The stress and sorrow were overwhelming. When the nice young intern concluded I turned to my husband and said, "See, I told you it wasn't from all that smack I did during my pregnancy." The intern froze and then let out this huge belly laugh. Was I appropriate? Probably not. But I had to do something to relieve the stress. Astronaut life is stressful so find the laughter where you can.
And as G.K. Chesterton said, "Humor can get through the keyhole when seriousness is still hammering at the door."

Saturday, June 25, 2011

The Mall, Part Too (Much)

The Only Predictable Thing About Life with Someone on the Spectrum Is That It Is Completely Unpredictable.
- True adage about Autism that is unfortunately way too long to put on a t-shirt therefore I won't be making any money on it.

We have had a nice block of rain these past four days.  I don't mind rain during the work week as I am at work (although I do get a bit cheesed off when it rains all weekend and then Monday is gorgeous.  It's sort of like God giving us the cosmic finger.)  I do, however, get a little freaked out when it rains on the weekend as it means lots of indoor time with the children or as I like to call it a "forced hostage situation" with my husband and I being the hostages.  Friday night I already started mulling over what to do with the children on the weekend - knife throwing lessons (too boring), French lessons (neither one of them is fluent in English yet, let's get that under our belt first), clog dancing (unfortunately no place close by offers it).  Finally I hit it - the mall.  But with a twist.  The mall has one of those "paint overly priced not very artistically designed" plaster paint places.  I have taken my daughter before and she enjoyed it.  The R.A. does like to pick up the old paint brush and paint himself (hands and face) but also has been known to paint the designated item (and then go back to his version of a self portrait.)  I thought the plaster paint place would be a good idea as both kids would enjoy it.  It's not always easy finding something that both kids like.  For some reason they have very divergent tastes in amusements.  My daughter is into arts and crafts, My Little Pony, and eating junk food.  The R.A. is into Thomas, toe walking, and not sleeping.

Feeling very proud of myself I conveyed my idea to my husband.  He didn't think it sucked so off we went.

Once in the mall parking lot, we followed protocol and my husband removed the ancient stroller from the trunk.  The R.A. knows we are a pair of clueless boobs so supervised us closely to make sure we did in fact pull the stroller out.  Only then did he exit the vehicle and plop himself into the stroller.

I admit I was looking forward to our outing and anticipated a good time for the family.  Now, I'm not completely naive and expected that there would be some glitches.  Of course as I based my idea to go to the plaster paint place on neurotypical logic, I totally miscalculated the situation.  Yay me!

Upon entering the store the R.A. first looked confused then panicked then pissed.  As my husband noted, the R.A. was no doubt thinking, "This is not proper mall procedure!  Where the hell are we?"  He wouldn't get out of the stroller.  We tried to jolly him along, "Look!  Painting!  Fun!"   With gritted teeth and our usual dimwitted determination we soldiered on (no, we never learn to retreat.)  My husband wrestled him out of the stroller and handed him a paintbrush and guided him to paint a Batman decoration.  The R.A. cried the entire time as he slapped paint on his decoration, using extremely angry strokes.  It wasn't so much painting as punishing the decoration.  I'm sure he was picturing our faces receiving the paintbrush's lashes.  After about a minute and a half the R.A. tossed the paintbrush and declared, "All done!"  He then crawled back into his stroller and attempted to buckle himself in, refusing to look at anyone or anything in the shop.  The R.A. also attempted to leave the shop by rocking the stroller back and forth making it move about half a centimeter.  Boy was crazed.  And that was only for the base coat.  We still had to put on the actual paint.  But you know us - Never give in!  Never surrender!  The R.A. and my husband went for a stroll in the mall while the base coat was drying.  My husband and I reasoned (incorrectly) that this was a new place and the R.A. needed time to get used to it.  By the time they returned, the R.A. would settle down and have a swell time painting.  At this point if the R.A. chose to paint himself and not the decoration that would be okay with us.  Heck, if the R.A. chose to paint one of us and not the decoration that would be okay with us.

The minute the stroller crossed back into the shop's threshold, the R.A. started chinning and keening.  So far not so good.  Undeterred by his obvious abhorrence to the shop, we continued on - our obvious lack of intelligence made up for by our obnoxious tenacity.  After wrangling him out of the stroller, the R.A.'s second foray into painting primarily consisted of getting paint on his hands and the stroller and not much on the Batman decoration.  He dodged and weaved his way back into the stroller, again doing his best to buckle himself in, yelling the entire time.  I'm not fluent in "R.A.-Speak" but I'm fairly confident he was yowling, "What in the Kitchen God's name is wrong with you people?  You are not following protocol.  You drag me to Kitchen God knows where to do Kitchen God knows what.  And then you have the temerity to say it's fun.  FUN?  Seriously?  I have paint all over my hands and I didn't even mean to put it there!  We are leaving NOW!"

During all this high drama my daughter was quietly and contentedly painting away on her own unicorn piece.  It's not that she doesn't care about her brother.  It's just that if she allowed every R.A. crisis to interrupt her endeavors she'd spend her entire life unfinished - unfinished meals, unfinished television shows, unfinished unicorns, etc.  She's just trying to live her life despite the drama. 

My husband and I finally, yet grudgingly, admit defeat.  He stays with my daughter so that she can finish her unicorn and so that he can finish Batman.  I take the R.A. for a walk in the mall - he in his stroller, of course. 

The R.A. was so wound up he was stimming his hands to beat the band.  We walked for a bit and then stopped and sat and watched the passing freak show.  This the R.A. quite liked.

After I deemed enough time had passed for my husband and daughter to have finished their creations, we headed back to the plaster shop.  As the stroller pulled up outside the plaster shop, the R.A. started whining.  Luckily dad and daughter had just completed their projects and we were able to hustle out of the store.  I have a feeling the R.A. is traumatized by the plaster shop experience and we are going to have to restrict ourselves to the opposite side of the mall.  Thank the Kitchen God the plaster place isn't close to any mall stores we regularly frequent.

We needed to leave the items at the store for 30 minutes to dry so we decided to hit the food court and have lunch.  The R.A. enjoys the food court and we hoped it would calm him down.  Unfortunately,  by now the R.A. is completely wigged out and spends lunch ranting.  My husband and I, fearing we are living on borrowed lunch time, shove our food into our mouths, barely chewing.  Another spectacularly enjoyable dining experience. 

In a last ditch attempt to placate the R.A. we rolled to the candy store.  Peace at last!  Finally contented, the R.A. slumps, relaxed, in his stroller sucking a "yawyee posh."  Kitchen God bless those sweet confections!

We did have to return to the dreaded plaster shop to pick up the decorations.  This time the R.A. and I stay outside the shop of horrors while my husband and daughter fetch their items.  I park the R.A. next to a clear plastic wall where he can watch people coming up the escalator which he digs, conveying his interest by flicking the wall and rocking in his seat.  He was probably thinking it was the best part of his day.  Thankfully nobody on the escalator was carrying any plaster decorations. 





No comments:

Post a Comment