So what is it like having a child with autism?

So, what is it like having a child with autism?

I get this question a lot and actually like it when people ask. Unless a person has significant contact with someone on the spectrum he/she doesn't really understand what an autism driven world is about. Saying that, it isn't always easy to convey what having a child with autism is like. After much consideration, this is what I've come up with -

For me, having a child with autism is like living with an alien from another planet. I call him the "reluctant astronaut (R.A.)" because he really didn't want to come to earth, had absolutely no interest in this space mission. As a result, he didn't pay much attention at the briefings prior to the mission so doesn't know anything about Planet Earth - nothing about language, customs, or Earthling niceties in general. In fact, he is so disinterested in Earth that even though he was sent here, he has absolutely no desire to assimilate into Earth society. Meaning he still doesn't give a rat's ass about Earth mores.

That's also how I "explain" things he does that are pretty much unfathomable to me. For example - for a certain time period he liked to sit in the toilet. No, not on the toilet but in the toilet. I reasoned that on the home planet the toilet is a jacuzzi. Although eventually we managed to break him of this habit, the jacuzzi explanation popped again during potty training when the R.A. demonstrated not only an aversion to the toilet but would have all out nuttys when placed on one. He was probably thinking, "Poop in the jacuzzi? What is wrong with you people? Miscreants!" That's what he would say if he could speak English or any Earthing dialect.

For a time I was also convinced that not only was he a reluctant astronaut but was actually an alien cat that somehow ended up in a human body. It does make sense -

Cat

Has to everything his way

Reluctant Astronaut

Ditto

Cat

Don't touch me!

Reluctant Astronaut

Ditto

Cat

Doesn't speak human language

Reluctant Astronaut

Ditto

Cat

Doesn't wear clothes

Reluctant Astronaut

Ditto (Well, would if he had his way)

Of course I don't really believe my son to be a Reluctant Astronaut.

But sometimes it sure makes sense!

Disclaimer: Although I sometimes describe things about life with my R.A. in a humorous way, please understand that I am not laughing at him. He is my son and I love him very very much. I come from a family that had its share of challenges and I learned from a young age that laughter is powerful. A situation cannot completely hurt you if you are able to find humor and laugh at some parts of it. So that's what I do. And I don't use humor solely with the R.A. My daughter was born with a heart condition that required immediate surgery. (No, I don't make good babies. They come out broken.) She was whisked away by ambulance to the hospital in Boston. It was all unexpected and traumatic. A nice young intern came to speak with my husband and me and was re-assuring us that nothing we had done caused the baby's condition. The stress and sorrow were overwhelming. When the nice young intern concluded I turned to my husband and said, "See, I told you it wasn't from all that smack I did during my pregnancy." The intern froze and then let out this huge belly laugh. Was I appropriate? Probably not. But I had to do something to relieve the stress. Astronaut life is stressful so find the laughter where you can.
And as G.K. Chesterton said, "Humor can get through the keyhole when seriousness is still hammering at the door."

Wednesday, January 11, 2012

The Mouth of a Warrior

That my family is considered woefully wimpy by the R.A. is not news.  He has spent the better part of his mission here on earth attempting to get us to man up or rather "alien up." Occasionally the R.A. tries to lead by example.  He has been engaged in his current "alien-ing up" exercise since last week. Let's just say it has been painful for everyone involved, himself included.

The R.A. has been battling some sort of issue with his mouth.  As he refuses to communicate clearly in earth-speak, we don't know what the specific problem is.  What we have observed is that the R.A. is experiencing great discomfort when he eats.  This is evident by the yowling and crying that now accompanies feeding time which I'm pretty sure interprets into, "Holy (insert expletive here)!  My mouth is (insert expletive here) killing me!  Although you think staring at me with sappy expressions, attempting to hug me, and cooing is helping me, it's not!  Can either of you morons do something to end the agonizing pain?"  Then, because we are stupid, so stupid that it momentarily distracts him from the pain, in desperation the R.A. whimpers, "Boo boo mouth" and further reinforces it with a visual -  holding a tissue to his mouth while softly moaning.  He then shoots us a withering look that clearly says, "Get it now, idiots?"

My husband did take the R.A. to the dentist who, of course, doesn't see anything.  He guesses that the R.A. is teething.  Six year olds teethe you ask, in great surprise?  Yes, apparently they do as some molars come in about that age. ( I don't recall my daughter going through such a thing but then again, after she had her chest cracked open at 6 days old there really isn't anything else they can do to her that will ever be as bad, therefore her tolerance is pretty high. She is one tough broad.)  For most kids it is a mild discomfort.  As always the R.A. is an over-achiever so for him it's excruciating.

The foods that really seem to aggravate his condition are Pringles, Munchos, and ketchup.  Therefore we don't eat them, right?  WRONG!  Big, fat, tremendously, fantastically wrong!  No, we don't avoid them.  Instead those are the foods that we insist on eating.  We have tried to offer non salty or non acidic foods like bananas which he refuses, enraged that we would even deign offer them.  We've also tried to give him a Popsicle, thinking the cold would be soothing.  Unfortunately our earth logic leaves much to be desired and that offering was not only soundly rejected but accompanied by infuriated yowlings.  I've even tried hiding the pain-inducing foods but (no surprise) I was out maneuvered.

The R.A. will grab (albeit gingerly as it is not permitted to be broken) a chip, break a tiny piece off ( in the permitted fashion ), put it in his mouth and begin to chew.  Almost immediately he will begin to yowl and chin himself.  Depending on the level of pain, he may also chin anyone else in the room.  While still yowling, the R.A. will place another minuscule piece of chip in his mouth.  This will intensify the yowling and chinning.  But will he stop?  Absolutely not.  He is determined to show that chip who is boss - he will eat through the pain or die trying. "I will eat that chip if it's the last thing I do, so help me Kitchen God!"  The R.A. will rage through a few more chips before collapsing in a heap of fury and frustration, giving us a look that seems to say, "So there!" Obviously we're supposed to learn from his valiant example, never give up, no matter how much it hurts.  I wonder if he's aiming for some kind of medal of honor on the home planet.  That would explain a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment